Sunday, March 10, 2013

Week 2 Reflection

I enjoyed the reading this week. I think I have a better understanding of what action research is but still have lots of questions (hope I am not the only one). I am super nervous that I will get half way through this and realize that this topic will not work but hope that with this blog and the Facebook support it will all work out.

Please read over my idea:

 The purpose of my action research study is to find ways to provide all students with science instruction that is on their ability level and will help them be successful on benchmarks and state tests. Students that are in a resource setting for math and/or reading are performing multiple grade levels below their current grade. Students are back in an on-level classroom for science and writing with little support and teachers are responsible for modifying the curriculum to meet their IEPs. I would like to give teachers on my campus that are responsible for these students some guidance and tools for ensuring their instruction is meeting the needs of all students. I think this research will not only improve student achievement in science, it will also help empower teachers to make decisions about science instruction for their students

Please let me know your thoughts and ideas for improvement.

3 comments:

  1. I am so disappointed that you are not going to look at after school tutoring! When I saw you listed on the PDF this morning, and that we were looking at the same topic, I thought I had lucked into a great opportunity!
    Anyway, I understand your concern for fifth graders taking any version of the science STAAR test! So many people think that the modified version of the STAAR test will not pose a challenge for special needs students - and that just isn't the case. The test is difficult. And asking teachers, who are already staining to teach the subject in a limited amount of time, to usually a very large group, to also make modifications to their lessons and assignments is hard to do. I am interested to see how you formulate your question, what data you select to follow and what resources you choose. Good luck to you, Jessica! I am sure you will do amazing things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sorry Mariellen...I changed it at the last minute. I am the science coach on my campus and don't work directly with tutoring so my principal said this would that it would add something else to my plate. I appreciate your feedback and will need more (for sure). I am interested in following your findings too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jessica:
    I am doing my AR on the implementation of problem based learning into our curriculum in order to improve student achievement on district benchmarks and 5th grade Science STAAR exam. As the science coach, I don't know if you have any experience with PBL. If so, I'd love to hear about it. I'm also curious to know where you teach that has science coaches on the elementary campus. Perhaps we can share some of our successes along the way since we are looking at the same bottom line ~ improving 5th grade science scores. You can follow my AR project at traceylafara.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete